Infographics: Why Bother?
What are Infographics?
Infographics were created as a quick way to spread information virally. Attention times of the average internet user are very low. As a result, most people skim blog posts and text rather than reading it in its entirety. This information led to the creation of the infographic, which gives creators the ability to display information in a well-structured and visually appealing way. The main reason for the infographics success is due to its ability to immediately capture the reader’s attention, and provide data in easily digestible chunks.
Another popular reason for using infographics has been link-building. Infographics naturally tend to attract a high amount of backlinks as they are picked up and shared across other websites and channels. Whether link building remains a focus of infographics or not, they are still a great way to spread information and a highly recommended option to keep in your content toolbox.
Check out our Infographic below, for some great reasons to use infographics. Don’t stop there though, we have provided you with some great tips and ideas to create infographics of your own at the bottom of this post.
Embed this on your site
Infographic Creation Ideas:
Thinking about creating an infographic, but don’t know where to start? Think of ways you can use the information and data you have about your market, and turn it into an interesting infographic that is likely to be shared by both businesses and consumers. Here are some ideas you can expand upon or combine to create an infographic:
• Sales of product or service type by demographic.
• Interesting facts about your product or service.
• How your product or service affects the economy.
• How your product or service makes life easier.
• A short tutorial or series of tips.
• The history of your product or service.
• Your product or service vs (pop culture reference).
Common Elements of a Successful Infographic:
- Ensure your infographic has a clear and catchy title.
- Your infographic should have a clear outline and well defined structure, making it easy to quickly understand.
- Keep your design visually appealing – but not too cluttered.
- Include minimal text.
- Add interesting statistics and facts. Make sure these are accurate!
- Controversial topics tend to increase the chance it has of going “viral” and the amount of backlinks you get. Be careful with this though!
- Brand your infographic, but avoid too much self promotion.
Need a designer to help bring your infographic idea to life? Want to brainstorm about possible infographic ideas? Contact us, we will help!